109 Professional Drive, Suite 2, Morrisville, VT, 05661 | 802-888-9218 | info@lcnrcd.com |

 

Trees for Streams Program

 

Beginning in 1999 LCCD has coordinated Trees for Streams (TFS), a locally driven program to stabilize eroding stream banks, establish forested riparian buffers, and deliver watershed education & outreach. As part of the Lamoille River Watershed Initiative, LCCD has partnered collaboratively with Winooski, Caledonia, Franklin, and Orleans County Natural Resources Conservation Districts to expand TFS from the headwaters in the Northeast Kingdom to Lake Champlain. In 2012, LCCD’s modeled this signature program state-wide to VT Natural Resource Conservation Districts.  LCCD’s Trees for Streams Resource Guide  serves as an informational and technical resource for landowners, teachers, and conservation managers. Funding for the guide was provided by the VT Watershed Grant.

The benefit for the program allows programmatic flexibility to meet specific landowner/site needs and concerns that are often not offered with state and federal cost share programs. TFS has planted over ten miles of streambank in Lamoille County with buffer widths ranging from fifteen to fifty feet. Participating landowners sign a ten year contract and make a 20% financial contribution to materials. The remaining 80% is covered by grant dollars, volunteers, and community contributions. Planted species are based on Vermont’s natural communities and sourced locally from conservation nurseries collecting seed within corresponding or adjacent watersheds.

Volunteers from schools and community organizations within the locale of the TFS project take part in TFS Service-Learning Projects. Participating schools receive educational curriculum, a presentation by the TFS Lead Project Manager, and a hands-on field study investigation. The Service-Learning Project encapsulates in a planting day at the TFS project site.

TFS is made possible by a Watershed Grant awarded by the Department of Environmental Conservation, and the US Fish and Wildlife Service’s Partners for Wildlife Program. Additional support for the continued success of the program was made by the Lamoille River Anglers Association for many years.  Review the Trees for Streams Brochure for more information.

Special thanks to our Trees for Streams participating individuals, schools, and organizations who we dedicate the success of our program to:

  • Lamoille River Anglers Association Members
  • Community volunteers too numerous to mention!
  • Browns River Middle School
  • Center for Technology at Essex
  • Craftsbury Academy
  • Eden Central Elementary School
  • Hazen Union Middle and High School
  • Hyde Park Elementary School
  • Johnson State College Serve and Break Away Program
  • Johnson State College
  • Lamoille Union Middle School and the Discovery Team
  • Lamoille Union High School
  • Laraway School
  • Mount Mansfield Union High School Environment Club
  • Peoples Academy Middle School
  • Peoples Academy High School
  • Stowe Elementary School
  • Underhill Elementary School
  • Unitarian Church of Stowe
  • Vermont Youth Conservation Corps at Lamoille Union High School
  • Vermont Youth Conservation Corps at Mount Mansfield Union High School
  • Wolcott Elementary School